Sunday, March 11, 2012

Crockpot Chicken

I make this on Sundays and use the meat throughout the week on various recipes. Its a good one to have in your arsenal!

1 whole chicken (make sure you remove whatever is inside!)
1 whole onion, sliced
3-4 carrots, chunked
couple of cloves of garlic, smooshed (leave it whole cause you're gonna want to find them later)
couple of tablespoons of lemon zest
garlic powder
salt and pepper
chicken broth

Clean and dry your chicken

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon zest. Rub inside and outside the chicken (make sure you put some under the skin).

Pleace onion, carrots and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Place chicken on top, breast side down. Squeeze one lemon and place lemon in pot (you can also put it inside the chicken for some more oomph!). Put enough broth into crockpot to come up about 1/4 to 1/2 way on the chicken. Cover and cook on high for at least 4 hours and low for at least 6.

When the chicken is falling apart done, turn it off and just let it cool in the broth. Remove the chicken and shred for your dishes later. I sometimes put the broth in the fridge and let it cool down so I can lift off the fat and then use the broth in other recipes (including putting a little of the chicken back in with some cooked noodles.. yum!).

**Special Note**
I usually put this on before I go to bed on Saturday nights, around 10:00 p.m. and let it cook all night. Its done when I get up and then cooling for me to handle when I start my Sunday dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment