Friday, March 9, 2012

Slow Cooker Posole














SLOW COOKER POSOLE

Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
2 lb pork (I use inexpensive pork ribs, cut the meat away from the bone)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
3 (15.5 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
1 onion, diced
2 cans green mild chili
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beer (any kind will do, but I like the amber best

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the pork; cook and stir just until meat is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour the enchilada sauce in the slow cooker. Top with the hominy, onion, chilies, garlic and salt. Add meat and stir. Pour in one beer. Add enough water, chicken or vegetable broth to fill the slow cooker (I like using the broth-gives it more flavor).
3. Cover, and cook on High for 6 to 7 hours.

I've cooked this for up to 8 hours. The hominy holds up and the meat only gets more tender.
Pin It


2 comments:

  1. So, you use beer instead of broth? That sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use beer and broth. I put the beer in first, then decide about the broth based upon how "soupy" it is. I think that it adds something to it. You can use any kind of beer and any kind of broth - whatever floats your boat!

    ReplyDelete